Image Product Features Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price Check Price
Whoever Said “Making Gains” Was Just For Jocks? Your Cat Is No Exception To This Rule
Quite often when describing certain products, commercial cat food companies will use terms such as; “super premium”, “premium”, “natural” and “quality”. When it comes to cat foods, there are no legal or scientific definitions for those terms, yet the source of the ingredients (animal or plant) really does matter.
Prolonged and excessive consumption of dry foods can cause many health hazards. Dry foods will absorb moisture and since cats have a low thirst drive to begin with, dehydration, a weakened immune system, urinary tract problems and diabetes can occur when their diet consists of only dry foods. Nevertheless, cat caregivers often feed their cats with at least some dry food.
Feed Your Cat The Right Way
When a commercial cat food company takes into account how to make highest profits from their product, their interest may often collide with that of cat parents. Using grain and carbohydrate fillings is less expensive than using meat in dry foods, but may be harmful for your cat. Using harmful preservatives to increase shelf life can be another health hazard for your hungry feline.
Therefore, you should watch out when buying dry food for your cat, and pay close attention to the product’s ingredients. You should feed your cat a diet that mimics, to the best extent possible, a wild cat’s diet – raw meats and low carbohydrate content. Try avoiding any dry foods that list carbohydrates as one of the first five ingredients. This will ensure low carb content and better weight control for your cat.
To make it easier for you to choose, we put together a list of recommended cat foods, that will help you control your cat’s weight, and overall wellness, in case of a previous, rich carbohydrate diet:
Taste of the Wild Cat Food
Taste of the Wild Cat Food is a well established food brand with a solid reputation in the American pet community, promoting a grain-free diet as nature intended for cats. This great tasting formula has a very well rounded flavor-rich variety. All natural and grain free, this dry cat formula was engineered with the best natural ingredients chosen to meet the special needs of indoor cats.
What We Liked:
- Grain-free & gluten free formula.
- Rich in protein (42%), fibers, antioxidants and amino acids.
- Venison based formula is very lean. Great for weight loss and weight control.
- Made in the USA, under strict quality assurance.
Instinct Original Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety
This great product mimics your pet cat’s ancestral diet with high protein content, while staying gluten-free and grain-free. The product formula is delicately balanced with the nutritious foods your feline would eat in nature, such as poultry or real meat, fruits and healthy vegetables, and no gluten or grain. A pure, biologically suitable meal like this offers nutrient-rich, easily digestible nutrition that will help your cat’s weight control and promote weight loss. This ancestral formulated food gives cats the energy and nourishment to attain a happy, healthy life. The food is balanced and complete for all life stages (including seniors, adults, and young kittens). As this is a lean product, it also happens to be great for cats with all kinds of lifestyles, including indoor pet cats that are less active.
What We Liked:
- Omega 3 and omega 6 supplements are great for healthy skin and fur coat.
- It provides your pet cat with the essential antioxidants to boost its immune system.
- This food will help alleviate your cat’s digestive complications. Great for cats with a sensitive digestive system.
- Most pet cats seem to love the taste of this product.
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food
High quality ingredients like fish, chicken or turkey are the main ingredients of this product. Well supplemented and gluten and grain-free, this purely natural cat food for mature cats is prepared keeping in mind that quality meats should make up the majority of your cat’s diet ingredients. You will find no meat by products, fillers, soy, corn, gluten or artificial preservatives in this great product.
What We Liked:
- This food helps reduce hairballs.
- Great for controlling weight, as this is a high protein and low carbohydrate containing product. Great for keeping your cat’s lean muscle mass.
- The food is high in omega fatty acids which promote a healthy coat and skin.
Hill’s Science Diet Indoor Dry Cat Food
Indoor pet cats are usually less active, they have precise and specific nutritional requirements, and Hill’s Science Diet Adult Indoor Dry Cat Food answers them accordingly. This nutritious and delicious dry food is characterized by precisely-balanced nourishment made especially for indoor kittens. Added fiber enhances gentle digestion. Another great feature of this product is that it is prepared with no artificial flavors, preservatives or artificial coloring. The food is available in both wet and dry varieties and prepared in formulas suitable for cats of all ages.
What We Liked:
- This food is very easy on the digestive system. Good for those felines with sensitive tummies.
- Well supplemented with important minerals and vitamins.
- Researched and proven to promote weight loss.
- Offers a 100% money-back guarantee no questions asked.
Orijen Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
This product is a great “all around-er” for cats of all ages. With high contents of high quality protein from meat, fish and eggs, and no cereals, this dry cat food is lean and great for your cat’s weight loss. Keeping in mind the needs of different cats with different energy levels, this food is well balanced and biologically suited for both outdoor frisky felines, as well as the lazier indoor cats. The high protein to low carbohydrate ratio will ensure that your cat doesn’t get any excess calories that will cause it to gain weight, while maintaining the cat’s natural dietary requirements.
What We Liked:
- Many felines go crazy for this food.
- Grain free and loaded with animal proteins, fresh fruits, and vegetables for a high protein and low carbohydrate ratio.
- Affordable, great value for money.
- Well suited for cats of all ages. especially handy when you have several cats of different ages.
- Gently frozen and dried liver, which gives this food great natural flavor, making this food delicious even for the pickiest cat.
NUTRO Indoor Cat Adult Dry Cat Food
Nutro Specialized food is a dry cat food with chicken as the primary ingredient. This cat food comes in one 14-lb bag of farm raised chicken and whole brown rice recipe for indoor adult cats. As chicken is the primary ingredient, you can rest assure your feline will be getting high quality protein.
This product is prepared with an ideal calorie content, which is perfect for indoor kitties that need to either loose or maintain a healthy standard weight. High natural fiber content in this product helps reduce hairball formation, while natural oil supplements provide for a healthy, shiny and soft fur.
What We Liked:
- Great for weight control. Calorie content is well calculated, taking into account lower energy exertion by indoor cats.
- Cats generally love this food because of its great chicken flavor.
- Contains whole grains, great for your cat’s digestive system and feeling full and satisfied with its meal.
- Made with non – GMO ingredients. Rest assure your kitty will be getting high quality food, closest to it’s natural diet.
Hill’s Ideal Balance Adult Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Cat Food
Hill’s Ideal Balance cat food formula features a special natural fiber blend that cats’ digestive system. This product has among the tastiest flavors that cats always end up loving, and comes in a great combination of flavors.
What We Liked
- A well-balanced dry food made from natural ingredients.
- Made from fresh chicken, a source of lean protein.
- Promotes healthy digestion through fiber provided by brown rice.
- Contains nutrients important to promoting a healthy gloss to your long-haired Maine Coon’s coat.
Wysong Optimal Vitality Adult Feline Formula Dry Cat Food
Wysong Optimal Vitality is a high-quality dry food with a strong balance of macro-nutrients necessary for keeping your cat healthy.
What We Liked:
- Contains no artificial additives.
- Consists of 50% protein and low in carbohydrates.
- Uses fresh meat, fruits and vegetables.
ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION
If your cat is living indoors and has lower energy requirements, then this product might help you keep your British Shorthair cat healthy by reducing the risk of obesity.
What We Liked:
- Contains a combination of fibers which helps reduce hairballs and ingested hair issues.
- It significantly reduces stool odor by being highly digestible.
- High in proteins and packed with vitamins.
Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Premium Dry Cat Food
Purina cat food stands out for it’s use of natural ingredients packed with high-quality protein like salmon, tuna, chicken, and turkey. Your cat will enjoy great taste, without the downside of artificial flavorings often found in gravy.
What We Liked:
- Contains High-quality protein with
- Omega-6 fatty acids help keep skin and coat healthy
- Nice variety of supplemented vitamins and minerals to improve its nutritional content.
- Well priced, a real bang for the buck.
What Should You Consider When Shopping For Dry Cat Food?
As there are many brands of dry cat food, certain brands may differ from one another. There are some things you should take into consideration before purchasing dry cat food:
Dry food should contain one or more types of high quality protein, which will be the main ingredient in your cat’s diet. Stuffing cat food with artificial flavors, meat by products, starches and fats or fillers will provide a very unbalanced meal for your cat. Feeding your cat with the best food suited for it and maintaining a well balanced diet will require you to check the quality of the cat food you buy.
Refined Grain Additives
When shopping for dry food, make sure to purchase food that lacks corns, soy and wheat substances. These substances are only meant to increase the quantity of the food but have no nutritious value. Avoid buying foods bulked up with wheat, flour and refined grains as much as possible.
Choosing The Best Dry Cat Food
While there are many good products out there, you should do some research, to ensure the best feeding experience for your cat. While choosing the best dry cat food for purchase, consider:
Reading The Label Carefully
Reading the label of the product you purchase means a lot. That way you will have better knowledge of what the best food is, and will be aware of the main ingredients. As the most abundant ingredients of your purchased product are stated first on the list of ingredients, you should expect them to read contents such as salmon, meat or deboned chicken, or any other high quality protein.
Cost And Budget
If you can afford to buy expensive cat food, you should do it to be certain you are getting the best product possible (even though sometimes, expensive doesn’t necessarily mean good. Always read the labeling carefully). However, you shouldn’t commit to buying high end food right away. Try to purchase a little amount at first, to make sure it suits your cat, and only then buy in bulk. Better food may be more expensive, but it will save you a ton of money on your veterinarian bill, due to poor nutrition.
What You Should Never Feed Your Cat
- Chocolate– Chocolate contains theobromine, a type of alkaloid that can be poisonous to cats. If not take care of, theobromine poisoning can lead to death.
- Raw eggs– Salmonella, a bacteria found in eggs can cause food poisoning. Also, the protein in raw egg whites known as avidin can hinder the absorption of B vitamin biotin leading to skin and coat problems.
- Avocado– Avocados contains a toxic substance to Bengal cats called persin.
- Alcoholic beverages– Alcohol can cause fatal brain and liver damage in cats in general as it is highly intoxicating. So, whether it is wine, liquor, beer or any food containing alcohol, it is not good for your cat.
- Yeast dough– Yeast ferments produce alcohol when consumed by a Bengal cat thereby leading to alcohol poisoning.
- Liver– Although Bengal cats can consume certain amounts of liver, too much of it could be dangerous. It can trigger a vitamin A toxicity which affects the bones of a cat.
- Macadamia nuts– Macadamia nuts are rich in fats which which can cause stomach pain and discomfort, leading to diarrhea and vomiting
- Xylitol– Candies, snacks, gum and baked goods contain a naturally occurring sweetener that is extracted from fibers of veggies and fruits known as Xylitol. This sweetener causes a rapid blood sugar drop
- Caffeine– Caffeine is highly toxic especially when consumed in large quantities. It is found in colas, chocolate, and cocoa.
As we can see, there are quite a few good products out there. Be sure to make the best choice that suits your beloved feline and keeps it healthy and happy. Good food products ten to be quite similar, so as long as you choose something that has high quality ingredients, your cat will be able to loose excess weight, and maintain a healthy physique.