If you have more than one cat in your home, then you already know that they will likely pollute the litter box pretty quickly.
As good as your litter box may be, having multiple cats use a single litter box can mean that you need to change it out more often, but you can keep that replacement schedule to about once a week if you use the right multiple-cat litter product.
There are a number of decent cat litter products that are designed for more than one cat being in the home, and we want to point out a few of them here for you.
How We Tested:
- We purchased some of the best cat litters on the market today
- We spent a few weeks testing the cat litters on several cats
- We did not receive these product in exchange for a favorable review, they were purchased with our own money
5 Best Rated Cat Litter for Multiple Cats
These are the very best litter products for households where there are multiple cats.
World’s Best Cat Litter
Made from natural compressed corn materials, this clumping cat litter is free from silica dust so you and your cat can breathe easy.
It forms tight, hard clumps for easy scooping, and it is biodegradable and flushable for easy disposal. This cat litter is eco-friendly and unscented, making it an excellent choice for single cat and multi-cat households.
It’s a potent litter that is better than most at eliminating and preventing odors, and all that power comes with a price. You will pay far more for this than you will for anything else on this list. World’s Best Cat Litter is recommend as one of our top picks for overall best cat litter products.
- Forms hard, tight clumps on contact with urine and feces
- Very low dust (no silica dust) compared to clay litters
- Eco-friendly and all-natural, clumps are flushable for easy disposal
- Lightweight corn kernels may track more than heavier cat litter
Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat Clump & Seal Clumping Litter
Multi-cat households often struggle with odor control but finding a litter that forms hard, odor-neutralizing clumps is your best defense. This Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Multi-Cat Litter harnesses the odor-fighting power of Arm & Hammer baking soda and moisture-activated microgranules to seal in odor from feces, urine, and ammonia for an odor-free litter box up to 7 days. It is also extremely low in dust which minimizes tracking and mess.
The first thing we noticed about this Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Multi-Cat Litter is that it had a very sandy texture.
We also found that the power of Arm & Hammer baking soda did its work in providing long-lasting odor control, even with three cats in the household sharing litter boxes.
- Forms hard clumps on contact to destroy odors and make cleanup easy
- Power of baking soda ensures a full 7 days of odor protection
- Very low dust and low tracking for minimal mess
- Sandy texture, some cats may not like it
- Some clumps may break apart during scooping
Cat’s Pride Fresh Ultimate Care Lightweight Unscented Hypoallergenic Multi-Cat Litter
This one is ideal for picky cats. Because it is unscented, the cats should not shy away from it due to a strong fragrance that you’ll find in most other natural cat litter products. It’s also hypoallergenic, so those cats with allergies and sensitivities should be safe and comfortable while using it. On top of that, it manages to prevent and kill odors quickly, providing instant protection against bad smells and keeping your litter box smelling nice for a long time. On the downside, there can be quite a bit of tracking with this product, and it can take a lot of work to keep the litter box area clean.
- Works very quickly to get rid of odors
- Ideal for sensitive cats
- Allergen free
- Can be messy to clean up
Jonny Cat Complete Multi-Cat Clay Litter Bag
Jonny Cat litter is pretty potent stuff. It can handle multiple cats without a problem, and it sells for far cheaper than most of the products on this list. The only problem with it is that it tracks everywhere, and you are going to be cleaning this stuff up a lot, so make sure you know your cat’s tracking habits before you buy too much of this litter. Some cats will not leave dusty footprints everywhere when using this litter and others will make a huge mess throughout the day, so knowing what your cat does with their litter box is key to picking the right litter.
- One of the most cost-effective cat litter products available
- Powerful odor guard
- Odor protection lasts for a while
- Can leave a mess behind
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Ultra-Premium Clumping Cat Litter
Many clay cat litters contain silica dust which can contribute to lung disease with long-term exposure. This respiratory relief clumping cat litter is specifically designed to control respiratory disease by being hypoallergenic, low in dust, and free from perfumes and deodorants. In addition to being low in dust, this clay cat litter contains natural essences which help reduce stress.
It is also made to be just about as dust free as cat litter can get. Compared to some of the other litter products on this list, it gives you you a lot less cleaning up to do. The clumping action basically eliminates dust, and this is ideal for people who have a number of messy cats in their household.
- Low-dust formula uniquely designed to prevent respiratory problems
- Hard-clumping action, locks in odor and moisture on contact
- Hypoallergenic formula free from plant proteins, perfumes, and deodorants
- Contains natural essences to help reduce stress
- Not as good at controlling odor as some of the competition
- May become sticky when wet, can stick to the sides of the litter box
Things to Consider before Buying Cat Litter Products
If you are picking out a multi-cat litter product, then you need to keep a few things in mind that will improve your chances of being happy with the final results:
- You may need multiple boxes- It may be a good idea to buy enough cat litter to keep a couple litter boxes full. If you have multiple cats, then they may be territorial and not let some of the cats use the same litter box they like to use. According to TheNest.com, having multiple boxes can cut down on a lot of fighting between your cats.
- Pick something that your cat will be okay with- Some cats are very picky about the kind of litter they get, whether it is clumping or non-clumping or whether it is scented or not. You may have to perform some trial and error to find out what your cat prefers.
- Know your cat’s allergies- Some cats will be allergic to the ingredients in certain cat litter products, so make sure you check ahead of time for what your cat has a sensitivity to. You may not find out until you put the litter into the box, and if your cat does have a reaction, you need to change out that litter fast.
Also Read: 5 Best Pet Stain And Odor Removers
We have put this list together for your benefit, and we certainly hope that one of these cat litter products does the trick and keeps your multiple-cat household smelling great. Be sure to look closely at the advantages and disadvantages of what we have covered to find a cat litter that will be perfect for your home.