If you love animals but not pet dander you may be looking for an air purifier. With so many air purifiers to choose from you maybe wondering which air purifier is best for pet dander among other things? The Levoit LV-PUR131 is the answer, removing up to 99.97% of the contaminants that contribute to allergens such as pollen, smoke, mold and of course, pet dander. It filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and covers a room that is 332 square feet. With an air purifier you will be breathing clean, fresh air in no time and keep allergies at bay.
What is Pet Dander?
Pet dander is very tiny particles of skin that had been shed from animals with fur or feathers. The dander from cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets and small rodents can be a problem. All animals shed bits of skin. Some of the bits are large enough to be seen with our eyes, while other bits are so small you can only see them under a microscope. Regardless of the dander size, it is a huge problem if you are allergic to animals.
Setup is simple. After unwrapping the main unit from its plastic packaging, tilt down the back door and remove the protective plastic from the internal filters. Insert the filters into place by following tab placement, plug in, and turn it on. There is quick-setup instruction book, which is easy to understand, as well as a full manual, included.
The Levoit LV-PUR131 unit is 18.5 inches high, 14.5 inches wide and 7.2 inches in depth and blends easily with any décor. It is recommended you place it at least 14 inches away from any possible obstructions, like walls, furniture, heaters and appliances in order to give the unit free access to air flow in the room.
The Levoit LV-PUR131 is perfect for allergy season as it helps to eliminate common allergy triggers from the air, including pollen, dust mites, mold, smoke, pet dander, and other pollutants and particles that may affect your allergies. The Levoit LV-PUR131 can capture and neutralize different household odors including pet odors, tobacco smoke, and cooking smells as well as limiting the irritants in the air. You can use this purifier in a room up to 322 square feet, and it takes only 10 minutes to filter the air in a room that size.
This model has a 3 stage filtration system which removes up to 99.97% of pollen, dust, odor, smoke, pet dander, and mold spores. The pre-filter, HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter can eliminate particles and air pollution that is just 0.3 microns. It has an air quality indicator, that automatically lights up in red, blue, green or yellow depending on the quality of air in your home.
The air quality settings are:
- Red = Bad, highly polluted Air.
- Yellow = Moderate, medium polluted air.
- Green = Green, little pollution in the air.
- Blue = Very good air, ready for sleep mode.
The Levoit LV-PUR131 has a timer, which allows you to program operation from 1 to 12 hours. It also has an auto mode and a sleep mode. It has four fan settings that are easily activated by the touch of a finger.
The fan settings are:
- Low setting is for night-time use
- Middle setting is for areas with persistent odors
- High setting is for situations that require sustained and concentrated filtration
- Timed setting is an intermittent activation that the LV-PUR131 senses.
The lowest setting produces a white-noise sound that is peaceful and non-intrusive. For every setting up, the sound increases but overall the Levoit LV-PUR131 is quiet at even the highest setting. The convenient and quiet sleep mode allows you to sleep peacefully while the purifier produces fresh air on its lowest setting, so there are no loud or disruptive noises. For even more convenience, you can set the integrated timer to anywhere between 1 and 12 hours so that it automatically powers off after a defined amount of time.
The Levoit LV-PUR131 is 100% ozone free, so it doesn’t use any ions or UV which create trace amounts of ozone, which is a harmful air pollutant. The smart automatic mode indicates the quality in the surrounding air and makes automatic suggestions with regards to fan speed for purifying your air faster and more effectively.
The filters need to be replaced every 6 months for average use and are easy to find online. There is a filter replacement indicator to remind you to check the filter condition. When the light goes on, it’s time to check the filter. The filter will still operate while the filter indicator is on.
The Levoit LV-PUR131 air purifier has a standard three-stage filtration system, which should take care of most contaminants, including allergens like pet dander.
- Pre-filter– This physical pre-filter gets rid of large particles. This filter can be cleaned by vacuuming or rinsing every 3 months and doesn’t need to be replaced.
- Activated carbon filter– This is the filter that takes care of the odors in the home. It clears about 85 % of all the unpleasant odors in your household. The filter needs to be replaced once every 6 months.
- TrueHEPA filter– This filter takes care of 99.7% of particles 0.3 microns in diameter. The HEPA technology takes care of allergens, dust, pollen, dander, mold spores, and many other unpleasant contaminants. This filter needs to be replaced once every 6 months.
- Great for filtering pet dander and pet odors with true HEPA filter and carbon filter
- Auto-off feature is very flexible, setting anywhere from 1 to 12 hours for a “set and forget” convenience
- No disturbing or annoying level of noise to wake you from a good night sleep
- Easy to read LED display that allows for easy control and reading.
- Multiple filtering systems and fan speed settings
- Highly energy efficient. It only uses 12 Watts of electricity on Low and 40 Watts on high
- 2-year warranty and lifetime support from the manufacturer
- Might produce some noise, which is comparable to an air-conditioner, on higher settings
- Filter needs to be replaced about every 6 months
- Filter cost is somewhat higher than competitors
- No remote control
The Levoit LV-PUR131 is quiet and offers powerful cleaning performance. It, however, has expensive filter replacements that raise the long-term costs. Overall, if you are looking for a quiet and relatively efficient air purifier, the LV-PUR131 is a good model that might satisfy your needs. You will notice an immediate improvement in the overall air quality the first few hours it is operating. That means less allergies and your home will smell fresher all day long.
About the authorAmy Brown is a lifelong cat enthusiast who enjoys writing about cats and rescuing them. She writes for various pet related websites, including her own, Cat Mania.
*FTC Disclosure: We received this purifier for review at no charge. We’re all About Cats is an affiliate partner of Levoit. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves. All of our reviews are unbiased, regardless of payment received, and always reflect our honest opinion or the opinion of our cats.